Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The size of an Egg!!!

What? I know, that was my reaction, but before I get to the best part of my story, I will start from the beginning.

So as I think most of you know (ha, mac and Nicole), I had surgery Monday. For the two lovely lady lumps that I had in my right breast. So here is my run down of how Monday and the following day went.

I got to the pre-op office at 8:30. Here is where I would be getting a wire placed in my boob to guide the surgeon's way to the smaller of the two "lady lumps. This is the same office and room that I had my ultrasounds and biopsy's 9 months ago, so nothing new. They cleaned me up and numbed the right breast and started by taking the ultrasound to find the lump that needed the wire. Then they proceeded with the wire placement. AAhhh! My breast tissue is particularly dense (it is cuz I am tough) so they had a hard time and had to (what I like to call) jam the wire down into it. ahhh! I couldn't feel anything but the pressure, but just knowing what they were doing is bad enough.

So then I had to go get a mammogram with the wire in there. Boys, that is where they put your breast in between two flat plates and press in order to make your breast a pancake. Only I had a wire in there....again. Ahhh! So pretty shortly after that, I sat down and was waiting for her to print the images and I started to feel woozy and nauseous. So the next thing I know, i am ont eh ground and have the 4 nurses around me with a wet cloth on my forehead. I never pass out....ahhh! So I got to ride in a wheelchair down to the hospital area where my actual surgery would take place and for the rest of the day, the nurses and doctors kept referring to my "earlier incident" which meant I passed out.

So they don't let me wait in the waiting room for the 2 hours until my surgery. They go ahead and put me in my bed and attach my IV. Fluids which I needed seeing as I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything this morning. So I wait out the rest of time watching new patients come in and go out. I talk to several nurses and my anesthesiologist, and my surgeon. They all check to make sure I am the correct patient and we are doing the correct procedure.

Oh forgot to mention, at the wire placement, they all thought it was my LEFT breast...WRONG! I had to keep telling them it is my right. The one with the big X on it now.

So finally they wheel me in on my stretcher to the operation room. Ahhh, bright lights. And my Anethesologoist tells me she is going to give me the "magical cocktail" now, that is what she actually said. So as I am awaiting the drowsiness to kick in....

I wake up and the surgery is done. Ahh, I love drugs! ha! I look at the clock and realize it is 2 something and that Ben has been waiting for over an hour and a half. oops! I am covered in several blankets and can't really feel much. So the nurse sees me and realizes I am waking up, gets me some juice, etc. The doctor comes by and says everything went well and that the big lump...here it goes, was the size of an EGG! What? There went half my boob. Take it all if you want. I was hoping they would take a little out of the left one too. No such luck!

So anyways, Ben comes in and they wheel me down to the car and I have no problem scarfing down an entire schlotsky's sandwich within and hour. Oh and a chocolate cookie! oh and a fudgecicle. (sp?) I was hungry, what can I say?

So I felt pretty good the rest of the day. By the time I got home it was around 3 and I lounged around and took it easy. I didn't even have to take my vicatin until i went to sleep that night. And really no pain so far. I DO have to wear this ridiculous 1950's grandma support bra for 2 WEEKS. 2 WEEKS! ahhh!

It is awful i sware, I have actually taken some pictures of it on, so if I get enough courage I will post the picture of it. I am going to have to plan my outfits for the next two weeks around it. Today it is a turtle neck. Not to mention I still have tons of gauze (sp?) in it. HOTT!

And I can't shower or drive for 48 hours. Gross! I took a bath last night and did the whole sink hair rinse too cuz I couldn't take it. I am just kinda drowsy now. And trying to actually get some work done. So it is interesting.

Yup, but that is about it. I get to take the gauze off tonight and see it. Ahh! I will let you know how that goes. As for now, just trying to make it through the work day without falling asleep at my desk. And did I mention I forgot my pain pills today. bummer!

Signing off,
One egg short of a dozen,
Alli

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

holy moly! good thing that sucker's gone!

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home