Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I survived, although my joints

There should really be two separate blogs today for what has happened in the past week or so, but we will just stick to one.

So my trip to San Fran was a success. Fun, good weather, and the race on Sunday morning wasn't as bad as I had built it up to be. I took my camera ont he run with the thought that i would take a picture every mile. That lasted for about 2 miles before I realized I didn't want people to actually see these photos. I did get a small picture of the de Young Museum in the Golden Gate Park while I was running though.

So as I promised I am going to give my mile by mile recap and see how it compares to my pre-race expectations. Here it goes!

Mile 1- Kinda chilly, good thing I have this jacket on. Found my good pace and can still see Mac and Sarah.
Mile 2- The park is pretty and is keeping me entertained, I should have taken that short cut back there.
Mile 3- oooh a refuel station and some good music...Kanye west, make me stronger...Gatorade and water and gel...ummm vanilla, this tastes like pudding.
Mile 4-5 - kinda a blur but more park running and still haven't stopped to walk! Oh I ran past the finish line for the first half of the marathon and wish I had decided to go with that because I would be done already!
Mile 6-7 - ahh the edge of the park! yeah! Still running and half way there! The altitude thing definitely helped. I am not complete out of breath yet, but the legs are getting a little tired.
Mile 8- okay some exhaustion and boredom and out of shapeness is kicking in. My legs are starting to feel funny, more or less the joints and stuff.
Mile 9 - BOYS DON"T READ - i started this morning (WTF, are you freaking kidding me?)and now my cramps are killing me. I think I need to stop at a porta potty and go, but I don't want to stop. My ankle joints are getting stiff. Oh crap that is a huge slope down hill...awkward!
Mile 10-11 - these and the previous mile are the worse miles. tired and still aways from the finish line, not to mentionthe cramps in my stomach and joint stiffness in my knees and ankles.
Mile 12- getting close, I can see the stadium and know I am soo close...this helps not to mention the guy next to me running that just passed by and said "your so close, keep going" that helped, honestly
Mile 13- ahhhh almost there, so many people! I think i will pick up the pace, oh shit there is the 3:00 hour pace runner ahead of me, I need to pass him....HERE I GO!
Finish line....sprinted past the 3 hour guy with all the energy I had left...stopping running was awkward my feet wanted to keep going. ahh water, banana, and Gatorade...sweet. Now where are Mac and Sarah? ahh getting massages!

I DID it! and finished under the time I wanted too. I can proudly say I am glad I did it...and what, i think I could and would do it again! What city next?

SO that was it. The people that stood by the side of the route the whole way cheering us on helped tremendously, not the mention the refueling stations and the music in my ipod. Michael Bolton was lovely to hear. Someone said my name once and I got confused and then remembered it was on my bib. Bib number 24384! sweet! My final finish time was something like 2:55 I think but I subtract like 3 minutes for the potty break and the time I had to stop to stretch my tight calves. So not horrible for my first one and not great but I was never much of a long distance runner.

I could sprint with the best of them. Next time I will shoot for under 2:30 and hopefully make it. So that was it for the race. We had to hurry back to our hotel to shower and get out before check out time and then hung around the park next to the Modern Museum of Art until our flight at 8pm. We got a lot of free stuff too which was nice!

Next blog: when I got back Sunday night from all of this, i had some unfortunate news which is changing g a lot of things and deals with the relationship status change on y facebook profile! Stay tuned...


Post a Comment

<< Home