Monday, April 17, 2006

Berlin..a trip where I learned too much!




Well so I am back from Berlin, and I do have to say it was probably one of my favorite cities...including Prague. Those are my top two so far! Anyways...I am going to try to break it down into days and be as brief as I can be....yet informative and entertaining...im tired though so we will see how that goes!

Day One...we got into Berlin around 10 pm on Thursday night and all 9 of us goit situated into our hostel. A very accomodating hostel with beds that I didnt mind sleeping in..which says a lot really. Anyways we decided to get up super early at like 6:30 to get up and go to Reihtstag (sp?) before the crowd got there. So we managed to get there early enough and made it to the top relatively soon. Which I soon found out was the only part of the building you are able to see, so after we saw that we ventured to the Brandenburg gate and found....Starbucks. I got a non fat no whip White Chocolate Mocha with Peppermint. Yummmy! That made my day! Anyways After that we wondered around the group split up and we headed to the Mies van de Rohe Art Museum whose exhibit was "Melancholy" It was nice..had a few Andy Warhols, and Picasso's, and the Thinker, and more that I cannot remember! Anyways after that we found some chinese food in the mall and enjoyed a delicatessen meal...i love germany and they love their chinese food! After that we headed to the Holocaust (sp?) Memorial which was very cool. I liked it a lot...the sun came out shortly following the terenchal downpour which made for a variety of pictures! We also made it to Potsdamer Platz and Alexander Platz later. It begam to ran a lot on us at Alexander Platz so the girls decided to go see a movie at the Cinema in the Plaza. So we bought the tickets and the snacks and sat through 30 minutes of German Previews to see Clive Owen being dubber German. Who knew? ahhh In Prague they change the name if it is not in english. Every movie title had been changed to German except for the Inside Man...so we though we were safe...so 15 minutes later we had our refunded tickets in hand and were headed back to the hostel. Dont forget the Kebabs we got on the way home! That night after some nappies...we headed out with Ian and James (Scottish)'s friends that are studying there and chilled at a restaurant/bar for a couple hours before going home to pass out. A nice, long and exhausting day! Oh how could I forogt we also saw the Berlin Wall today..peices of it obviously...but it was humbling and quite educational!

Day two...We woke up a little later on Saturday and headed out first to the Jewish Museum by Libeskind (sp?)..so im no good at the spelling...sorry! We didnt go in but took plenty of picture s on the outside and even found a fun little playground behind it and wasted some time. Later we met up with the others and ate lunch...I orded schnitzel attempting to get a German dog....but leanred that Schnitzel is different that Weiner schnitzel. So I got some kind of breaded pork that I eventually gave to the guys! After that we wondered around Alexander Platz on a sunny day and took pictures of the Poseidon fountain and the Cathedral and founda huge patch of green grass on museum Isle and layed around basking in the sun for an hour or so! It was most enjoyable! Then we got a ruffle in our tailfeathers and decided to make it to the 3:30 soccer/futbol game in the Olympic Stadium. Yes the Olympic Stadium that Hitler built in the 30s for the Olympics. So we made it and had a terrbile amount of fun. The Germans are crazier about their futbol than the Czechs are about thier hockey! It was surreal and great! The stadium holds around 75,000 which doesnt sound too big but it was huge seriously! Specially for the 30s...and to know that Hitler funded and buiolt it was strange. Anyways it was a good non scoring game. Afterwards we headed back to our hostel and got some Pizza Hut...yes Pizza Hut...we're pathetic I know. But we passed out and spent the rest of the night hanging around in teh club and bar in our hostel!

Umm...Okay one more! So the third day we got up later becasue some of the Catholics went to Church. Anyways it was Easter Sunday and I had completly forgot. But we made our way to the 100 bus that takes us by allthe touristy stuff and it took us to Pergamon Museum that hold parts of the Altar of Zues and the Ishtar gate...which is a bit strange seeing as niether of these originated in germany...but oh well. Everybody was pretty exhasuted so most of us headed back to the hostel to eat and take a nap again and we packed and got ready for the ealry train ride home in the morning! I FINALLY finished my book, the Fountainhead that seems to have taken me forever! But now I am going to speed read the DaVinci Code so i can see the movie when it comes out soon! So this mornign we got up and caught our train after some dunkin doughnuts...i had a bagel....ummm....and got back to Prague around 3 ish and now all I have done is download pictues and email and unpack. But as of now and this upcoming week....I have a lot of school work to do and cathcup one...which always sounds fun! So this weekend I have nothing and the weekend after that is Greece! Yeah! Glad to have a weekend off though and yes I am doing school here I promise...just with a side of lots of travel!

But I hope everybody is having a fabulous time wherever they are and leave me a comment if you wish! Ciao for now!

1 Comments:

Blogger Alli said...

thanks mom glad youre finally remembered your info!...dont forget it....love you!

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home